(b. 1730, Vincennes, d. 1786, Wien)
French architect, active in Austria-Hungary. He was a representative of the so-called "Revolutionary Architecture," a style named after the novel, radical conceptions of its creators.
Canevale studied at the Paris Architectural Academy in 1753-54. In 1760, as a student and co-worker of Giovanni Niccolň Servandoni (1695-1766), he traveled to Vienna on the occasion of the twenty-year jubilee of Maria Theresa. He was the decorator of the celebrations.
Settled permanently in Austria, and soon became the favourite architect of Joseph II and the Viennese aristocracy. In 1765 he became an architect of the Duke of Liechtenstein, and in 1775 he was an imperial court architect.
His main buildings in Vienna are the General Hospital and the Josephinum (1783-85). From 1771, Canevale was active in Schönbrunn under Johann Ferdinand Hetzendorf and also participated in the work on the equipment of today's Schauräume of the castle. In 1775 he designed a triumphal arched portal for the Augarten in the course of transformations to the palace and park.
His first major works in Hungary were in Vác: the construction of the cathedral (1760-77) and the triumphal arch in memory of the visit of the imperial family in 1764. These works, executed in classical style, were commissioned by the Viennese Cardinal Migazzi, bishop of Vác. Later he worked for the Esterházy as a garden architect. The military building Neugebäude at Pest was built according to his plans in 1785-86. This rigorous building was one of the most powerful European examples of revolutionary architecture until its demolition in 1897. He built also the Migazzi Castle in Nógrádverőce.