GIOVANNI DA CAMPIONE
(b. ca. 1320, Campione, d. ca. 1375, Campione)
Italian sculptor, son of the sculptor Ugo da Campione. He studied in the workshop of his father in Bergamo. He is first mentioned in a document of 1348 working as a sculptor in the church of Santi Nazaro e Celso in Bellano. Then in Bergamo, he worked on the sculptural decoration of the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore and the Baptistery. Here he executed the north portal in 1351 (with the "red lion") and the south portal in 1360 (with the "white lions"). In the Baptistery, he was assisted by his sons Nicolino and Cristofore. He is last mentioned in Bergamo in 1367, when he was paid for the portals.