LE ROUX, Jacques
French architect. In 1489 he signed a contract with the abbot of La Trinité, Fécamp, to construct the axial Lady Chapel. In 1496 he replaced Guillaume Pontis (active 1443-1497) as master of the Works at Rouen Cathedral. For the next ten year he was occupied with finishing the south-west tower, the Tour de Beurre, begun by Pontis in 1487. Owing to lack of money and to the cathedral chapter's indecisiveness over the nature of the termination, work progressed slowly and the octagonal crown of the tower was not completed until 1507.
Jacques's name is associated with other Flamboyant work in Rouen