(active c. 1290-1349 in Pisa)
Italian sculptor and architect, not related to Nicola and Giovanni Pisano. He probably came from Pontedera near Pisa (he is sometimes called Andrea da Pontedera), but he is first documented in Florence in 1330, when he received the commission to make a pair of bronze doors for the Baptistery. The doors, finished in 1336, are the first of the three great sets for the Baptistery (the other two are by Ghiberti), and represent twenty scenes from the life of St John the Baptist and eight Virtues. They show a melodious line and a jeweller's refinement of execution.
By 1340 Andrea was architect to Florence Cathedral (succeeding Giotto) and the only other works certainly by him or from his workshop are reliefs and statues for the cathedral's campanile. In their clear-cut designs the reliefs show the influence of Giotto's painting.
In 1347 Andrea was appointed master of works at Orvieto Cathedral, where he was succeeded by his son Nino (d. 1368) in 1349. Nino is known from documents to have been active as a goldsmith and architect, but all his surviving works are sculptures in marble. He was much less distinguished as an artist than his father, but noteworthy in being one of the first sculptors to specialize in free-standing life-size statues.