RICCHINO, Francesco Maria
(b. ca. 1583, Milano, d. 1658, Milano)


Italian architect. He trained under Lorenzo Binago. He was patronized by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan, who sent him to Rome to finish his education. In 1605, he became capomastro under the main architect of the Cathedral of the city, Aurelio Trezzi (active 1598-1616). Much later, between 1631 and 1638, Ricchino himself held this highest office to which a Milanese architect could aspire.

In 1607, Ricchino designed his first independent building, the church of San Giuseppe, which was at once a masterpiece of the first rank. It was finished in 1616, the façade, however, was not completed until 1630.

Ricchino was, above all, a builder of churches, but most of them have been destroyed, many are only known through his design; some have been modernize or rebuilt, while others, like Santa Maria alla Porta, were carried out by pupils.

Of his other, non-ecclesiastical buildings that remain standing, five may be mentioned: the large courtyard of the Ospedale Maggiore (1625-49); the Palazzo Annoni (1631); Palazzo Durini (1648); Palazzo di Brera (1651-86); and the façade of the Collegio Elvetico (designed 1627).

His son Giovanni Domenico (active 1647-1680) was also architect.