VALVASSORI, Gabriele
(b. 1683, Roma, d. 1761, Roma)

Biography

Italian architect, active mainly in Rome. At the age of fifteen he attended the course of architecture in the Academy of San Luca, where he received several awards in 1702-04.

His professional activity began in Umbria, in 1711-17, he helped design the small church of San Giuseppe alle Fornaci near Foligno and as an assistant to Filippo Barigioni (1690-1753), he helped the enlargement of the facilities at the thermal baths of Nocera Umbra.

In Rome, he was patronized by the Pamphilj family, helping design the main altar (1720) in the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone, which stands adjacent to the original family palace in Rome. In the 1730s, he helped in the designs of the Palazzo Doria-Pamphilj, where he is responsible for the massive façade on the Via del Corso.

For the Archiconfraternity of Padri Bergamaschi, from 1729 to 1735, he helped develop their property on Piazza Colonna, which included the Cerasoli College. He aided in the restoration and remodeling of the Dominican church of Santi Quirico e Giulitta, in Rome. He designed the façade of Santa Maria dell'Orto.

In 1737, he became a member of the Accademia di San Luca and professor in 1758. He became a regent of the Congregazione dei Virtuosi al Pantheon.