(b. 1864, Cronkbourne, Isle of Man, d. 1933, Douglas, Isle of Man)
English designer. After training at the Douglas School of Art, Isle of Man (1878-84), he moved to London in 1897, where he worked as a designer for, among others, the Silver Studio and taught at Redhill and Kingston art schools. His important association with Arthur Lasenby Liberty (1843-1917)began in 1901 with his designs for the Celtic-inspired Cymric collection of silver and jewellery and the Tudric domestic pewterware introduced by Liberty in 1903. His interpretation of Celtic forms was the closest approach to true English Art Nouveau, his disciplined use of Runic patterns contrasting with the excesses of the continental versions of the style.
Knox was the most outstanding of Liberty's creative artists, producing over 400 designs for carpets, fabrics and metalwork from 1904 to 1912. In 1912 he resigned from his teaching post at Kingston College of Art following criticism of his teaching style and results. A group of his students also left in protest at his resignation and formed the Knox Guild of Craft and Design, which held successful annual exhibitions from 1913 until the beginning of World War II in 1939.
Following his resignation, Knox visited the USA, returning to the Isle of Man to teach in 1913. In 1917 he designed Arthur Liberty's gravestone for the churchyard at The Lee, Buckinghamshire.