(b. 1598, Bologna, d. 1654, Roma)
Bust of a Saint1650s
Santi Vittore e Carlo, Genoa
The Franzone family acquired a chapel, the Cappella del Crocefisso, in the Carmelite church of San Carlo (now Santi Vittore e Carlo) in Genoa. The principal sculptural decoration of the chapel, including the marble busts of the brothers Franzone, a bronze Crucifix and bronze busts of saints, has traditionally been attributed to Algardi. The quality of these works, as well as the death of Algardi in 1654, however, have led them to be partly reattributed to Domenico Guidi, who perhaps worked from terracotta models by Algardi.
The twelve bronze busts of saints were not cast until after Algardi's death, using a variety of models.