(b. ca. 1605, Vorarlberg, d. 1666, Bezau)
Exterior viewbegun 1652
St. Lorenz, Kempten
One of the first Baroque church buildings built after the Thirsty Years War in Bavaria is the former collegiate church of St. Lorenz in Kempten. This was begun in 1652 following plans by, and under the supervision of Michael Beer, and conceived in such a way that the obligatory dome above the crossing must have seemed superfluous. Beer erected an octagon over the nave which marks the choir area, effectively creating a separate chapel delimited by four piers. It is nonetheless a half-hearted solution, since the choir octagon with its low dome and substantial lantern still echoes Italian domes.