BERNINI, Gian Lorenzo
(b. 1598, Napoli, d. 1680, Roma)
Fontana del Moro1653
Piazza Navona, Rome
The Fontana del Moro (Moor Fountain) is located at the southern end of the Piazza Navona in Rome. It represents a Moor, or African (perhaps originally meant to be Neptune), standing in a conch shell, wrestling with a dolphin, surrounded by four Tritons. It is placed in a basin of rose-coloured marble.
The fountain was originally designed by Giacomo della Porta in 1575 with the dolphin and four Tritons. In 1653, the statue of the Moor, by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, was added. In 1874, during a restoration of the fountain, the original statues were moved to the Galleria Borghese and replaced with copies.