BERNINI, Gian Lorenzo
(b. 1598, Napoli, d. 1680, Roma)
Angel with the Crown of Thorns1667-69
Marble, over life-size
Sant'Andrea della Fratte, Rome
When Clement IX had the Ponte Sant'Angelo modernized, he decided to replace the fourteen stucco angels set up by Raffaello da Montelupo under Paul III with ten marble figures. Two statues were entrusted to Bernini, including the Angel Carrying the Crown of Thorns. The artist started work in 1667 and completed the two sculptures in 1669. It seems that the Angel Carrying the Crown of Thorns was partially executed by Paolo Bernini, son of Gianlorenzo, but it is difficult to point to any differences in style in the various parts of the statue. This statue and the second one commissioned from Bernini, the Angel with the Superscription, were later removed to Sant' Andrea and copies substituted on the Ponte St. Angelo.