BONAVÍA, Santiago
(b. 1705, Piacenza, d. 1759, Aranjuez)

Exterior view

1531-68
Photo
Court church of San Antonio, Aranjuez

The Bourbons expanded the extensive gardens and palace complex in Aranjuez on numerous occasions, adapting them to the needs of the court. Work began in 1731 under the direction of Santiago Bonavia. The church of San Antonio, completed in 1768 from plans by Bonavia, belongs to the palace complex. Curved arcades situated in front of the domed building lead to the court complex.