(b. 1599, Bissone, d. 1667, Roma)
San Giovanni in Laterano, Rome
The renovation of the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran was initiated in 1646 by Pope Innocent X due to the approaching jubilee celebrations. It was completed in the record time of only four years under the direction of Francesco Borromini. The twelve niches created by his architectural scheme were eventually filled in 1718 with statues of the Apostles, sculpted by the most prominent Roman Rococo sculptors.