BOY, Willem
(b. ca. 1520, Mechelen, d. 1592, Stockholm)

Exterior view

begun 1588
Photo
Saint James's Church, Stockholm

Saint James's Church (Swedish: Sankt Jacobs kyrka) is a church in central Stockholm, dedicated to apostle Saint James the Greater, patron saint of travellers. (Swedish uses the same name for both James and Jacob.)

The church took a long time to complete. As a consequence it includes a wide range of architectural styles, such as Late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. In 1580 King John III ordered a church to be rebuilt on the location of a demolished medieval church. Construction on the present church started in 1588. As completed by the time for the death of John III, the design of Willem Boy included a central nave flanked by two tall aisles resting on sandstone columns.