(b. 1571, Caravaggio, d. 1610, Porto Ercole)
Interior view of the Cappella Cavaletti1603-05
Oil on canvas
In 1603 money was given by the heirs of one Ermete Cavalletti for the decoration of the family chapel in the church of San Agostino, not far from the Piazza Navona, at the centre of Caravaggio's Rome. By the end of 1604 Caravaggio's Madonna di Loreto was installed in a spot where it has been ever since. In the winter of 1603-04 Caravaggio had been in Tolentino, not far from the shrine of Loreto, and he may have gone there to see the supposed Holy House of Nazareth.