(b. 1472, Venezia, d. 1526, Capodistria)
The Marriage of the Virgin1504-08
Oil on canvas, 130 x 140 cm
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan
The painting is one of a series on the Life of the Virgin for the Scuola degli Albanesi, near S. Maurizio (Venice). After the suppression of the Scuola in the late eighteenth century, this canvas and The Presentation of the Virgin went to the Brera; The Birth of the Virgin to the Accademia Carrara, Bergamo, The Annunciation and The Death of the Virgin to the Ca' d'Oro and The Visitation to the Museo Correr, Venice. The entire cycle was completed in the early sixteenth century, with the help of considerable shop work.