COMPE, Jan ten
(b. 1713, Amsterdam, d. 1761, Amsterdam)
Haarlem: View of the Town Hall-
Oil on panel, 29 x 37 cm
The façade of the town hall, together with the new wing in the Zijlstraat was designed and built by Lieven de Key in 1620, who became the stadsbouwmeester of Haarlem in 1593. The original building was constructed by Count William II in 1250, and served as a hunting lodge. After burning down in 1351, its remains were donated to the city of Haarlem by Count William V. It was then rebuilt in the 15th Century, to serve as the town hall. The outlines today are more or less the same as when Ten Compe painted it, although the tower, which was demolished in 1772, has been rebuilt in 1913.