(b. 1471, Nürnberg, d. 1528, Nürnberg)
The Dresden Altarpiece1496
Oil on canvas, 117 x 96,5 cm (central panel), 114 x 45 cm (each wing)
The altarpiece was commissioned by Frederick the Wise for the church of the Wittenberg Castle. The altarpiece was in the Kunstkammer in Dresden as early as 1687 which explains its name.
The central panel depicts Mary adoring the Child, while the side wings represent St Anthony and St Sebastian. The central panel, displayed with the side panels in the Gemäldegalerie, has also been attributed to Dürer in the past. However, this attribution was rejected in 1991 on solid grounds and it was attributed to a Dutch painter of the name Jan, who worked in Frederick's court.