DÜRER, Albrecht
(b. 1471, Nürnberg, d. 1528, Nürnberg)

Paumgartner Altar (right wing)

c. 1503
Oil on lime panel, 151 x 61 cm
Alte Pinakothek, Munich

The side wings depict St George on the left and St Eustace on the right, complete with their attributes on their banners as recorded in the Legenda aurea. St George was a crusader and had liberated the Libyan town of Silena from the dragon, while the Crucified Christ had appeared to St Eustace in a forest in the antlers of a stag, thus converting him to Christianity. The donors themselves appear in the form of their personal saints. On the left, facing the central panel, Stephan Paumgartner appears as St George, and on the right Lukas Paumgartner appears as St Eustace. Both are wearing splendid knightly armor. They are Christian knights, guards and protectors of the holy shrine, the Nativity of Christ in the central panel where they appear once more as part of the group of the donating family.