FANTONI, Andrea
(b. 1659, Rovetta, d. 1734, Rovetta)

Pulpit

1710s
Marble
Basilica di San Martino, Alzano Lombardo.

This pulpit, standing in the centre of the seventeenth-century church, is richly decorated with statues, reliefs, and flying putti. It is the result of a collaboration between the leading artists of the time such as Giovan Battista Caniana (1671-1754) who took care of the project, Andrea Fantoni who performed the marble sculptures and Gian Giacomo Manni (1687-1763) who executed the inlays.