FRANCESCO DI GIORGIO MARTINI
(b. 1439, Siena, d. 1502, Siena)
Exterior of the church1484-90
Santa Maria delle Grazie al Calcinaio, near Cortona
Tuscan architects developing the principles laid down by Brunelleschi, constructed important churches in the last years of the 15th century. These include Santa Maria delle Carceri, at Prato, by Giuliano da Sangallo, and Santa Maria del Calcinaio, near Cortona, by Frencesco di Giorgio. Both these resemble the experiments with centrally planned churches being carried out in Milan by Leonardo and Bramente, and we know that Francesco di Giorgio was personally acquainted with Leonardo. In these churches we see the culmination of the Early Renaissance ideals of classical lightness and purity.
View the ground plan of Santa Maria delle Grazie al Calcinaio.