GABRIEL, Ange-Jacques
(b. 1698, Paris, d. 1782, Paris)

Exterior view

École Militaire, Paris

The Gabriel family, related to the Mansart family, boasted three or four architects prior to Ange-Jacques, the fifth to bear that name. He succeeded de Cotte as First Architect, and was an engineer and builder of some of France's most remarkable bridges - in Lyon, Poissy and Blois. He became the master architect of the reign of Louis XV, characterized by three exemplary edifices: the École Militaire (1751-68), the Versailles opera house (1753-70), and Place Louis XV (today Place de la Concorde) flanked by the Hotel du Garde-Meuble (1757-70). In addition, he also built the Petit Trianon.

The photo shows the façade overlooking the garden.