(b. 1698, Paris, d. 1782, Paris)
Court Opera House, Versailles
The project for a theatre at the head of the exterior right wing of the Palace of Versailles was begun in 1765 and completed in 1770, in time for the wedding of the Dauphin (the later Louis XVI) with Marie Antoinette. On an oval ground plan with its Corinthian colonnade running all the way round above the circle, the auditorium goes back to classical models as already re-used in Palladio's Teatro Olimpico in Vicenza.