(b. 1485, San Martino, d. 1549, Tours)
Monument to Thomas James1507
Cathédrale Saint-Samson, Dol-de-Bretagne
In 1507 Giovanni (Jean) made the monument to Thomas James, Canon and Treasurer of the Cathedral of Dol, which still stands in the north transept. The design is ordinary Florentine of the fifteenth century. Two square pilasters, with high pedestals and composite caps, carry an enriched entablature; under this and between the pilasters is a semicircular arch, beneath which is the tomb with pedestals and four square piers at the angles, supporting a canopy. Noteworthy are the details, the amorini carrying swags, griffins, vases, and satyrs blowing hunting horns wound round their heads.