(b. 1543, Oppido Lucano, d. 1613, Napoli)
Interior view1608-after 1613
Cappella del Tesoro, Cathedral, Naples
The Cappella del Tesoro di San Gennaro (Chapel of the Treasure of St. Januarius) is a chapel located in the Cathedral of Naples, and dedicated to St. Januarius, patron saint of the city. The design of the chapel was entrusted to the Theatine priest and architect Francesco Grimaldi. To complete the chapel of San Gennaro, several buildings were demolished, including some houses, some chapels, and the small church of Sant'Andrea. The chapel has a Greek cross plan with a dome.
This is the most lavishly decorated chapel in the Cathedral, and contains contributions by the premier Baroque artists in Naples, such as Domenichino, Lanfranco, Solimena, and Ribera. During the 17th and 18th centuries, the chapel was also used for musical activities, with the presence of masters such as Cimarosa, Paisiello, Francesco Provenzale, Francesco Durante, and Domenico Scarlatti.
The photo shows the interior of the chapel.