(b. 1646, Paris, d. 1708, Marly-le-Roi)
Palace grounds, Versailles
After the court had established itself in Versailles, the king began to look for retreats. He found them in the Trianon and in Marly.
After the demolition of the village of Trianon, Louis XIV had the "Trianon de Porcelaine" built for his mistress by Le Vau in 1670. With the emergence of e new favourite, this pavilion gave way to a new building, the "Trianon de Marbre", built by Hardouin-Mansart and named after the reddish marble used in the pilasters. The parterre was laid out as "Flora's kingdom," a flower garden.
The picture shows the Trianon de Marbre (later known as the "Grand Trianon"), with flower beds.