(b. 1646, Paris, d. 1708, Marly-le-Roi)
The palace chapel, which occupies the north wing, is one of the most impressive examples of French late Baroque architecture. Begun by Hardouin-Mansart in 1699 and completed after the death of the architect by his brother-in-law, Robert de Cotte (1656-1735), the galleried church with polygonal ambulatory combines classical, medieval, and baroque features and is modeled on the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. The rich decoration, the openness to the light and the contrast between the light, stone and the blue background of the frescoes by Antoine Coypel anticipate the aesthetic style of the next few decades.
The picture shows the interior of the palace chapel.