(b. 1792, Köln, d. 1867, Paris)
For the parish church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul, Hittorff took over the commission from his father-in-law, Jean-Baptiste Lepère (1761-1844). Hittorff earned a reputation both for his study of polychromy in the buildings of Antiquity and for his achievements in urban development. Thus the church soars dramatically at the end of a street above a large flight of steps, dominating the immediate urban environment.
The classical motif of the hexastyle pronaos is here combined with a double-tower façade, the horizontal termination of which is interpreted with Neoclassical severity.