LE VAU, Louis
(b. 1612, Paris, d. 1670, Paris)
Collège des Quatres-Nations, Paris
From 1662 Le Vau (assisted by François d'Orbay) was involved in the design of the Collège des Quatre Nations, Paris (1661-74), now the Institut de France. By employing a pedimented façade (with a tall cupola behind) flanked by two quadrants ending in pavilions facing the River Seine (thus giving the structure a concave façade bordered by the wings), he showed a strong affinity with Italian Baroque art, and with the work of both Bernini and Francesco Borromini.
View the ground plan of the church of Collège des Quatres-Nations, Paris.