LIPPI, Fra Filippo
(b. 1406, Firenze, d. 1469, Spoleto)
Confirmation of the Carmelite Rulec. 1432
Museo di Santa Maria del Carmine, Florence
This is a detached fresco from the square cloister of Santa Maria del Carmine. The fresco, mentioned by Vasari, was discovered in 1860, beneath a layer of plaster along the wall in the cloister of the convent. It is in fragmentary condition, with probably less than half of the original composition visible. Vasari identifies the subject as the Confirmation of the Carmelite Rule.