LIPPI, Fra Filippo
(b. 1406, Firenze, d. 1469, Spoleto)
Sts Gregory and Jeromec. 1437
Tempera and gold on wood, 129 x 65 cm
Accademia Albertina di Belle Arti, Turin
The figures on this panel are painted in a chiaroscuro mode that emphasizes delicate transitions between lit and shaded areas. The habit worn by St Jerome probably indicates that the triptych was commissioned for a convent or monastery as Jerome would normally be shown dressed as a cardinal when in the company of the three other fathers of the Church.