LIPPI, Fra Filippo
(b. 1406, Firenze, d. 1469, Spoleto)
Tempera and gold on wood
Accademia Albertina di Belle Arti, Turin and Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
The three panels formed a triptych which was painted in the 1430s in Florence by Lippi. Although made of three separate panels, the triptych was unified by a continuous wall and uniform lighting. It was probably commissioned for a convent or monastery. The side panels (now in the Accademia Albertina di Belle Arti, Turin) represent Sts Augustine and Ambrose (left) and Sts Gregory and Jerome (right), sized 129 x 65 cm each. The central panel (now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York) depicts the Madonna and Child Enthroned with Two Angels (123 x 63 cm). The central panel has been transferred from its original support, while the side panels have come down to us intact.