LIPPI, Fra Filippo
(b. 1406, Firenze, d. 1469, Spoleto)
Madonna della Cintola1455-65
Tempera on wood, 191 x 187 cm
Museo Civico, Prato
This painting depicts the Madonna giving her girdle to St Thomas, with Sts Margaret, Gregory, Augustine, Raphael, and Tobias. There is a donor portrait of a kneeling nun, probably the abbess of Santa Margherita, a small Augustinian nunnery in Prato, where Fra Filippo was awarded the chaplaincy in 1456.
Technical and stylistic evidence suggests that the picture was executed in two campaigns - designed and begun by Lippi and finished later by Fra Diamante.