(b. 1598, Venezia, d. 1682, Venezia)
Ca' Rezzonico: Façade1667-1756
Canal Grande, Venice
In 1667 Filippo Bon commissioned the construction of his new residence from Baldassare Longhena on the site of several demolished building. At the death of Longhena in 1682 the palace was incomplete. The building was sold to the Rezzonico family who entrusted the construction to Giorgio Massari. The building was completed in 1756 with the decoration of the façade, the stairway from the canal and the area to the rear with the airy large staircase leading to the huge ballroom.
The façade is horizontally divided into three large bands: the ground floor has its ashlar-work and three lancet water gate. On the two upper floors, the ends of which are delimited by twin columns, the windows flanked by half-columns are arched, with carved heads on the keystone and carved figures in the extrados. The garret is decorated with oval openings. The two upper floors have continuous balconies supported by projecting frames and barbicans.
The interior rooms were decorated with frescoes by Jacopo Guarana, Gaspare Diziani and Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. In 1935 the palace was turned into the 18th century Venetian museum.