(b. 1431, Isola di Carturo, d. 1506, Mantova)
Tempera on panel, 71 x 94 cm
Musée des Beaux-Arts, Tours
This panel is from the predella of the San Zeno Polyptych, it was located at the right of the Crucifixion panel. The three original predella panels are now in France (in Paris and Tours), they were appropriated as war booty during the Napoleonic war.
In the centre of this painting, the bright apparition of Christ stands out, emphasized by the darkness of the rocky grotto. The faces of the guards show a range of reactions to the miracle of the Resurrection, from a still sleepy figure gazing in front of him to a soldier rising to his feet in amazement.