MASTER of the View of Ste Gudule
(active c. 1480 in Brussels)
St Catherine of Alexandria with Sts Elizabeth of Hungary and Dorothyc. 1480
Oil on panel, 45 x 47 cm
The artist was named after a panel in the Louvre of St Géry Preaching, which depicts in the background the façade of the cathedral church of Sainte Gudule in Brussels (later re-dedicated to St Michael). Since one of the two towers visible in the Louvre painting is depicted unfinished, it must date from well before the end of the 15th century.
This panel, depicting St Catherine of Alexandria flanked by Saint Elizabeth of Hungary and Saint Dorothy within a hortus conclusus, was formerly attributed to Martin Schongauer since the drapery and figure types are reminiscent of Schongauer's engravings.