UNKNOWN MASTER, Italian
(active around 1450 in Ferrara)
St Jerome Removing a Thorn from the Paw of a Lion1450-55
Tempera on panel, 30 x 36 cm
The most likely source of this panel (and related panels now in the Pinacoteca Brera, Milan, and Museo Correr, Venice) is the Oratorio di San Girolamo at Ferrara, founded in 1424. The monks on the paintings wear the habit of the monastic order dedicated to St Jerome called the Gesuati.