OLBRICH, Josef Maria
(b. 1867, Troppau, d. 1908, Düsseldorf)

Pillar cabinet

c. 1900
Maple, fruitwood, ebony, with brass hardware, 184 x 70 x 40 cm
Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles

The designs of Olbrich's furniture, crafts work and metalware, such as the famous candlestick, are expressive, rigorous and simple, decorated with original geometric details and harmonious forms.

The cabinet was made by Hofmöbelfabrik Julius Glückert.

In 1838, Jacob Glückert founded a furniture workshop in Darmstadt, which was taken over by his son Julius Glückert (1848-1911) in 1876. Around 1900, the successful company was able to employ about 100 people and carried out numerous orders for the houses of the artists' colony. Glückert's residence was one of the buildings of the 1901 exhibition on the Mathildenhöhe. Eventually, Glückert could call himself purveyor to the court of HM Emperor of Russia and HRH the Grand Duke of Hesse. After Glückert's death, the company was continued by his granddaughter Anne Klönne until 1943.