(b. 1450, Citta della Pieve, d. 1523, Perugia)
The Last Supper1493-96
Fresco, 440 x 800 cm
Convent of the Tertiary Franciscans, Foligno
The Cenacolo di Foligno is located in the ex-convent of the Tertiary Franciscans of Foligno, transformed into the "Conservatory of poor and honest girls" in 1980 after the transfer of the nuns. The fresco was rediscovered in 1845 and attributed at first to Raphael, but recent critics have unanimously agreed it was the work of Perugino, dating it between 1493-96. The idea has also been advanced that it was painted over another fresco of the same theme by Neri di Bicci (1419-1491).
This work can be regarded as one of the most important examples of Umbrian culture of the Renaissance of which Perugino, Raphaels's master, was one of the most serene and magnificent masters.