(b. ca. 1460, Osterode, d. 1531, Würzburg)
This sculpture comes from the south portal of the Marienkirche.
The part of the portal finished by the artist between 1491 and 1493 comprised the canopy, the brackets, and the admirable statues of Adam and Eve, whose style contrasts surprisingly with the usual laboured manner of the time. Although it was not immediately accepted, this rediscovered serenity and simplified form evidently did not displease, for a contemporary text describes the work as "masterful, skilled, gracious and honestly made." Riemenschneider favoured the acceptance of the Renaissance style, and without directly copying the Italians he yet moved closer to them, starting from specifically German elements.