SANGALLO, Giuliano da
(b. 1445, Firenze, d. 1516, Firenze)
Santa Maria delle Carceri, Prato
Tuscan architects developing the principles laid down by Brunelleschi, constructed important churches in the last years of the 15th century. These include Santa Maria delle Carceri, at Prato, by Giuliano da Sangallo, and Santa Maria del Calcinaio, near Cortona, by Francesco di Giorgio. Both these resemble the experiments with centrally planned churches being carried out in Milan by Leonardo and Bramente. In these churches we see the culmination of the Early Renaissance ideals of classical lightness and purity.
The Santa Maria delle Carceri was begun in 1485 and was left in its present incomplete in 1506. It is a pure Greek cross and derives, therefore, from the Brunelleschian tradition of centrally planned churches.
View the ground plan of Santa Maria delle Carceri, Prato.