SANMICHELI, Michele
(b. 1484, Verona, d. 1559, Verona)

Palazzo Gussoni Grimani della Vida: Façade

1548-56
Photo
Canal Grande, Venice

The current palace is the result of restoration of the original Gothic-Byzantine building. It was commissioned from Sanmicheli by the Gussoni, an old family which had already arrived in Venice in the 9th century.

The façade is tripartite, according to the traditional Venetian design, the upper floor is given emphasis by the central four-lancet window with round arches, the continuous projected balcony and the upper closing coping. The side windows are linked by a continuous upper cornice which also marks the base of the round tympanum used to decorate the windows.

The façade was decorated with frescoes by Tintoretto, but no traces have remained.