(b. 1518, Venezia, d. 1594, Venezia)
The Capture of Parma by Federico IIc. 1580
Oil on canvas, 212 x 284 cm
Alte Pinakothek, Munich
This painting was commissioned from Tintoretto by Guglielmo Gonzaga for the newly constructed rooms in the Palazzo Ducale in Mantua. Guglielmo commissioned four paintings in 1574, and another four in 1579. The Capture of Parma belongs to the second group. These paintings, executed with significant contributions from the workshop, are now in the Alte Pinakothek, Munich. They were dedicated to the military exploits of the Gonzaga.