(b. 1841, Penzing, d. 1918, Wien)
Karlsplatz Stadtbahn Station is a former station of the Viennese Stadtbahn. The two buildings above ground on Karlsplatz are well-known examples of Jugendstil architecture. They were designed by Otto Wagner, adviser to the Transport Commission in Vienna, and Josef Maria Olbrich, and are, unlike the other Stadtbahn stations, made of a steel framework with marble slabs mounted on the exterior.
The station was opened as Akademiestraße in 1899. When the Stadtbahn line was converted to U-Bahn in 1981, the original station was scheduled to be demolished. However, as a result of public outcry, it was decided to keep the station buildings. Both buildings were disassembled, renovated, and then reassembled two metres higher than their original location after completion of U-Bahn construction. One of the buildings is now used as an exhibition space by the Vienna Museum (left), with an U-Bahn entrance in its rear; the other is used as a café (right).