WAGNER, Otto
(b. 1841, Penzing, d. 1918, Wien)

Österreichische Postsparkasse: interior

1904-06
Photo
Georg-Coch-Platz 2, Vienna

The central space of the banking hall (modified 1980s) had a glass vault of stilted elliptical sections carried on riveted steel columns and a floor with glass lenses to light the basement below.

The building had little decoration; it is recognized as a milestone in the history of modern architecture, particularly for the curving glass roof of its central hall.

The photo shows the skylight in the main hall.