(b. 1747, London, d. 1801, London)
Oil on canvas, 155 x 216 cm
This canvas shows a ploughman with his team by a wood at evening. In the background the country church can be seen. The plough depicted in this painting is a carriage-plough of a type which was developed in England towards the end of the 18th century, and which radically improved the productivity of the ploughing-team.
The painting, the last major work by the artist on this scale, was exhibited at the Royal Academy in London.