MEDIEVAL SCULPTOR, Catalan
West portalc. 1277
It was not until the 1270s that, as a consequence of the increase in Mediterranean trade and the strengthened monarchy, Gothic sculpture based on French models was introduced into Catalonia and Aragon. In Tarragona, master Barthomeu, in the service of the archbishop and the cathedral chapter from 1277, created the west portal of the cathedral, with eight figures of the Apostles in the jambs and a figure of the Virgin on the trumeau, directly inspired by a French model.