MEDIEVAL SCULPTOR, German
Burial chamber (western outer wall)1100-30
Church of St Cyriakus, Gernrode
The once rich sculptural works on the Holy Sepulchre in the former convent church of St Cyriakus in Gernrode (Saxony-Anhalt) were of high quality, as is shown by those remnants that have been preserved. The west wall of the chambers built in between the two eastern bays of the southern transept is extensively decorated. The central area with three niches is framed by a double frieze. In the central niche a plaster tablet with the figure of Mary Magdalen is set in flanked by two columns standing in semi-circular niches.