MEDIEVAL SCULPTOR, German
(active in 1225-1237)
Bamberg Cathedral was one of the most important cathedral building projects to be undertaken in Germany in the early 13th century. Its extensive figurative ornamentation was probably begun in the 1220s and it must have been virtually complete by the time of the rededication of the cathedral in 1237.
To complement the Last Judgment in the tympanum of the Princes' Portal, two figures were installed outside the portal: the statue of Ecclesia on the side of the Blessed, and that of Synagoga on the side representing the Damned. Nowadays these figures are inside the cathedral.
The picture shows the original figure of the Synagoga, now placed inside of the Cathedral in the St George's Choir.