MEDIEVAL SCULPTOR, Italian
(active c. 1159)

Pulpit

1159
Marble
Santa Maria del Lago, Moscufo

The pulpit in the church of Santa Maria del Lago in Moscufo (Abruzzi) is an important example of Italian Romanesque ambos. It was produced in 1159 in the workshop of the sculptors Robertus and Nicodemus, and is the only complete Abruzzi pulpit remaining in its original location. On three sides of the square pulpit box are lecterns, and underneath them convex surfaces bearing the Evangelists' symbols. Next to the Evangelists are figures from the Old Testament.